I am part of kerala kitchen 🙂 every month we get some kerala recipe to cook ! last month i couldn’t this month the recipe is coconut chutney powder ! its similar to the Kerala Chammanthi Podi but it has it own twist by nags from cooking and me !
I tried this came out well 🙂 infact i love to take it with Rice 🙂
Recipe source: EDIBLE GARDEN
grated coconut – 1 cup
dry red chillies- 7 to 7
Ginger sliced – 1 piece
Curry leaves – 1/4 cup
urad dal / ulutham paruppu / uzhunnu parippu- 1 tbsp
1 tsp of black pepper
Onion – 1 medium size (actual recipe calls for 1/2 cup of shallots / chinna vengayam / ulli, sliced)
Garlic – 5 nos without skinHing – 1 tsp
Tamarind – small piece
Salt – as required .
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, roast the coconut, red chillies, ginger, shallots, urad dal, curry leaves, and pepper without any oil.
- The coconut should turn a dark brown and the red chillies should glisten and turn a darker shade
- This will take about 10-15 mins. Keep flame low and stir continuously.
- When done, turn off flame and add the salt, hing, and tamarind. Mix and let cool completely. The coconut will be brittle to touch and almost-black.
- Once cooled, powder as fine or coarse as you prefer and store in an airtight container.
- This coconut chutney powder can be served with dosa, idli, rice, chapati, wheat dosa, etc.
- Actual recipe doesnot call Garlic Thats my own variations !
- Actual recipe call s for fresh coconut i used the desiccated coconut