Instead of boiling you can saute till it half cooked and add the water ! Coming to this recipe since i didn’t add the tamarind i used Tomato and raw mango which itself has a enough tangy taste ! So compensated the taste !
South indian meal is incomplete without sambhar ! So go and try and enjoy !
So check out my other sambhar recipes !
To boil separately:
By adjusting the required amt of salt
Raw mango – 1
Drumstick – 1 (cut in to 4 to 5 depends on size adjust )
Toor dal – 1 cup
Tomato – 2 no
salt – 1/2 tsp
To temper and make gravy
Onion – 1 medium size finely chopped
green chilly – 2 cut in to two slit
Turmeric powder – 1tsp
Sambhar powder – 2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp ( adjust the 1/2 tbsp of powder after taste )
salt -as required
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1tbsp + 1tsp
Corianders leaves – to temper
Methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
Heat the Kadai add 1 tbsp of oil once heat add mustard seeds once cracked add Methi seeds and green chilly saute till the methi turns red . Then add onion and saute till it turns semi brown ! if needed add the 1 tsp of oil , then add the 2 cups of water ! allow it to boil !
Now add the turmeric powder and Sambhar powder allow it boil , till the raw smell goes ! Then add the boiled drumstick and raw mango and adjust salt ! keep it in low flame , for 5 minutes so that it mixes with gravy well !
Then add the cooked dal along with tomato ! and mix well allow it to cook for other 5 minutes ! so that every will blend well ! keep the flame high and 5 more minutes for boiling ! off the flame add the ghee and temper with coriander leaves !
serve with plain hot rice 🙂 i serve with tiffin items too
- Do not use any other spicy powder other than sambhar powder .
- Infact i do not even recommend red chilly and coriander powder ! It has different taste !
- You can add garlic to the dal while boiling !
- Adding ghee must do not compromise on that !
- Make sure the mango cooked properly !
- The reason i didnt add tamarind is i added two tomato and raw mango which has enough tangy taste !
- this is a basic sambhar recipe Where us you can replace the veggies !