Believe me guys she makes in jiffy ,taste and texture will be same ! which ever rava she use!When i enquired about her how cum she is doing it perfectly every time She said , U need to roast the rava before u proceed, irrespective of roasted rava is used ! So i adopted the same method 🙂 i am close to her taste !
Rava or sooji – 1 1/2 cup
Hot Water – 3 cups
Oil – 4 tbsp + 1tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dal – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – to temper
Green chilly – 3 nos finely chopped
Onion – 1 medium size
salt – as required
The Ratio of water should be 1:2 , But u can adjust by adding 1/4 cup or reduce the 1/4 cup of water
Heat the kadai and add the rava and saute for 5 minutes, till it gets semi roasted ! Though u are using the double roasted rava this is very important to get the upma nicely!
Heat the kadai and add the 4 tbsp of oil once heat add the mustard seeds once cracked add the channa dal and urad dal and green chilly saute till it gets semi brown, then add the chopped onion and curry leaves , saute till its cooked .
Then add the rava and adjust the salt , saute till everything mix evenly ! now add the 3 cups of water and stir continuously so that no lumps formed ! you have to do this action simultaneously ! once it mixed with water, add the reserved oil and mix well and close the kadai and keep the flame in the low and allow it cook for 10 minutes, mean while stir once !
Then open the kadai and see you can see the boiled rava , and if u feel it need to cook , then u can add 1/4 cup of water, (be careful before u add if its cooked leave it ) off the flame let it be closed !
Serve hot with Sugar or curd or pickle ! But i like to take with idly milagai podi ! you can top with sugar and taste it ! its yummy!
- Add only hot water,
- Do roast the rava even though u r using double roasted rava!
- Adding ghee is an optional !
- The Water ratio is 1:2 But , depends on the quality it may required 1/4 cup hot water , not more than that!
- Do not ever add vegetables and tomato ! Because this is a simplest and tastiest version of upma ! so wont required much veggies , the taste is because of the simplicity !
- When u are adding the water u have to stir the rava , otherwise it wont be separated , it forms the lumps !