Preparation Time : 15 minutes
cooking Time : less than 30 minutes
Recipe source : sharmi passions
Adai – 1 cup (check below i have given the recipe for making at home )
You can even use store bought adai too !
Jaggery – 1 cup
Thin coconut milk – 1cup
Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Cashew – 1tbsp finely chopped
Coconut – 2 tbsp finely chopped
Ghee – 2 tbsp
To make the home made adai , we required Raw rice , take 1 cup of raw rice and soak it in the water (immerse level) for one hour and grind it nicely add little water , it should be thick consistency , Once grinded! take the banana leaf and pour 2 tbsp of the batter and do the circle evenly and roll it and tie it (if needed) and steam it for 12 to 15 minutes,
Once done allow it to cool completely and open the banana leaf you can see the steamed rice , Now take a knife and cut in to small pieces , i did little big because i wanted to have that chunky texture ! If u are not comfortable in doing this process you can always get store bought one !
Since i did at home and its little thick i boiled it again before i proceed , Generally home made adai does n’t required boiling , Take your jaggery and add some water (again immerse level) allow it to dissolve it ! then filter it completely !
Heat the kadai and add the jaggery water and allow it to boil for some 5 to 8 minutes, it should start thickening ! Then add the adai (if it is store bought one you have to boil it and strain it before you add it in the jaggery , otherwise home made adai can be add directly ) , allow it to mix well !
Once its mixed add the thin coconut milk and keep the flame in medium, stir it then and there. It should start thickening, little more ,now add the cardamom powder and mix well ! then add the thick coconut milk and mix well ! in another kadai add the ghee and fry the coconut and cashews once fried add it in the Payasam,
Serve hot or chill , purely optional ! The crunchy texture of coconut bits and cashew and home made adai is divine !
- Make sure you are removing the impurities from jaggery!
- Store bought adai too works well ! But you have to boil for 5 to 8 minutes before you add it in the jaggery water!
- Make sure you are not over cooking the pradhaman!
- The color may change , because its depends on the jaggery you use
- If u feel the payasam is thick you can add little water, But the consistency should be semi thick!
- I cut the adai little big because we wanted it in that way , you can even finely chop it and directly add it in the jaggery water(if its home made)
- You can also prepare the ada the day before and keep it in the fridge ,next day bring it to room temperature and use it !