Now a days if i taste something different or a unknown dish , i do not hesitate to ask the chef , Some times i ask about the recipe itself , some times i just ask about the ingredients and try it on my own.
Last week i attended my very close friend reception. their i tasted this salad , it was very yummy and filling. I could see the boiled vegetables with some raw vegetables , but couldn’t identify the mayonnaise taste .When i inquired about the salad recipe , the serving person could n’t explain me properly. Later when i met them in another occasion i told them your reception menu were outstanding . Esp the Salad ,at that time they said it was a Russian salad our favorite. Then came back home and browsed i realized it has mayonnaise , i thought of giving a try to home made mayonnaise , some have i struck up.So i bought the store bought mayonnaise. Next time when i prepare this recipe i am sure i will prepare my Own mayonnaise and prepare the Salad .Do not Underestimate this salad , It is not like our usual salad’s its entirely different . Do give a try and enjoy every bit.
Potato – 1 large no
Carrot – 2 no Medium
Green peas – 1/2 cup
Beans – 5 to 7 nos
Cabbage or lettuce – 2 to 3 leaves (we can serve in on the leaves)
Salt – 1/2 tbsp (for entire vegetable – if needed you can add more )
Cucumber – 1 no (cut in to round shape)
Pepper powder – 1 /2 tbsp Freshly grounded
Paprika – 1/2 tbsp
Mayonnaise – 1/2 cup (adjust after mixing , if required add )
Lime juice – 1 tbsp (optional – but i didn’t use it )
- Kindly cut the potato and Carrot to big chunks .
- Also cut the beans in to semi medium length wise.
Take the heavy bottomed vessel and add the salt and allow it boil ,and the veggies separately. Yes as the vegetables has got different time for cooking, So i boiled the green peas first , then added the long beans and finely i added the potato and carrot as i cut the carrot in to large chunk , i added with potato to get it boiled.
Once every thing boiled , mix it then add the freshly grounded pepper , paprika and mayonnaise. if needed a tbsp of lime juice. Now you can add the raw vegetables like carrot, capsicum, celery , lettuce ,cabbage and decorate with cucumber. keep it in the fridge for 1/2 an hour.(its optional method)
serve on the lettuce or cabbage leaves Or else you can keep it in the leaves ,roll it and serve.
- Celery can be used But i always ended up getting bitter taste whenever i use so i generally avoid celery , if u are familiar with celery please add it .
- To do some variations at the end you can add some raw vegetables too, like capsicum , raw carrot and onion
- I used the store bought vegetarian mayonnaise .If u wish to prepare ,you can do that .
- Also do not boil all the vegetables together, because it will have different taste.
- you can garnish with cabbage and lettuce leaves while serving .
- Adding paprika is to give some little spicy taste in the salad . Actual Russian salad does not have this.
- You can serve immediately or else serve it once cooled .