Also Do not cut the fresh Yam , Use the older yam the day it gets old you are away from itching ! 😛 When i was searching for On-am recipes ! I came across this curry , though ppl wont do this for On-am ! i like this Kerala style curry ! I generally marinate the masala’s and fry it ! But this is quiet different from the usual one so adopted the method and adjusted the taste according to my family need !
Recipes source: Marias menu
Elephant yam – 2 cups cleaned & finely chopped
Normal cooking oil – 2 tbsp
Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Fennel – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – to temper
Onion – 1 medium finely chopped
Garlic – 4 to 5
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Red chilly powder – 1tbsp + if needed
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Salt – as required
Finely chop the yam and wash it and cook it in the water by adding the required amt of salt and turmeric ! Do not over cook it ! when u try to smash it should ! But not completely
Heat the kadai and add the two tbsp of cooking oil ! once heat add the mustard seeds , fennel and curry leaves ! once cracked add the chopped onion and Punched Garlic (yeah actual recipe calls for chopped garlic But i used my mortal and pestle, saute till it turns semi brown! Then add the red chilly powder, pepper powder and required amt of salt ! Mix well ! if needed splash some water!
Once everything mix well , then add the boiled yam and mix well and saute till it gets fry texture , Finally add the tbsp of coconut oil!!
Serve with hot rice and other accompaniments ~!
- Do not over cook the yam when you are boiling
- Actual recipe calls for fennel powder , i do not have it ! so used the whole fennel ! it tastes great too !
- Some times you can feel the itching from the Yam , So once you chopped keep it in the Turmeric water for half an hour !
- Once u get the yam do not cook it on the day or very next day , just keep it , use it after 4 to 5 days ! the day it gets old it wont itch ! (opinion differs – So far i have never experience itching problem if at all it will be there for 3 to 4 minutes! )
- One more you can soak it in the tamarind water for 10 to 15 minutes !