After my marriage i never celebrated my diwali with my home, So 4 years back when we booked our first car , we planned to celebrate it in my sister home. Believe me guys i didnt prepare any home sweets or savory’s all store bought one, But my sister is perfect when it comes occasions, she will not miss any rituals. this is one of her thing i admire deeply. So the day before , she said can u help me to prepare the pasi parippy urundai? i said OMG lengthy process So we do some other sweets. She was laughing then asked me who told u the urundai is very difficult ? it is as easy as to prepare . She grind-ed the mixture through machine (because she did bulk – 2 KG) , we just added the ghee and start shaping it .
You Can make 13 Urundai
Moong dal – 1 cup heaped
Sugar – 1 cup heaped
Elachi – 3 to 4
Cashews – 5
Ghee – 1/2 cup (+ 2 tbsp if needed)
Heat the heavy bottomed kadai and dry roast the moong dal till nice aroma comes or it changes to semi brown color, Then off the flame, allow it to cool completely and transfer the roasted moong dal to the mixie jar.
Grind it nicely , while grinding when u feel hot pls do not grind allow it to cool then grind , it helps to maintain the mixie as well as taste of the urundai ,once grinded add the cashews , elachi and sugar and grind it nicely , then transfer the mixture to the kadai
and add the clarified butter , i.e ghee (before adding check whether u r adding the melted ghee ) mix well
then start shaping the mixture to ladoo shape.
- The Given sugar measurement is perfect , if needed u can add more, But it is just perfect
- Do not over roast the dal as it changes the flavor and entire taste of urundai.
- Using melted ghee will help in shaping the urundai perfectly
- Using ghee alone will have more life time of urundai
- If you do not want more ghee just take 1/4 ghee and 1/4 cup of milk (which will result in less life time)
- Some times people separately grind the dal and sugar then mix, but i find it this is very easy so adopted this method
- If u add more ghee the color of urundai will be dark.