I generally make this sweet pongal on two occasions, one is for pongal and another is for Marghazi month. marghazi month started (tamil month) yesterday onwards,so i Wanted to post this traditional recipe, Which was in my mind for long time.When Marghazi month comes i am so happy , So i like to color the kolam and reminds my school days where i use to attend the early morning classes, thiruppavai and thiruvempavai slokas. Thiruppavai was written by ANDAL in praise of lord perumal.
Also we cook the rice and moong dal in the pressure cooker and divide in to two equal parts one for our normal pongal other half for this sakkarai pongal. This is a pretty easy job , So off to the recipe
Preparation time :15 minutes
cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings – 3 – 4 nos
Rice – 1/2 cup
Water – 1 1/2 cup
Moong dal – 1/4 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup (
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Elachi – 3 to 4
camphor – a pinch (tiny pinch- an optional if u use more than fenugreek size it completely spoils the taste)
Cashew – 2 tbsp finely chopped
Soak the jaggery in the water (immerse level) for half an hour and bring it to boil till it dissolves the jaggery completely .allow it to boil once it formed the foam off the flame. (make sure it is thick not too)Then strain the jaggery add the elachi and camphor to this.
Now take the cooker grease it with ghee (1/2 tbsp) so that it wont burnt in the bottom. now add the rice and moong dal then add the water and leave 4 whistle, then allow it to cool down ,once it realizes its steam , open the cooker and check the rice and moong dal cooked well when u mash it should be.
Now heat the kadai add the 1 tbsp of ghee and add the cashew fry it completely. Till it turns semi brown off the flame. keep asidethen pour the jaggery, Do not add full jaggery water, adjust according to the requirement and consistency, and then mix well, then add the 2 tbsp of ghee and mixes well, Now u can check the consistency, it must be solid (semi) if not keep it in the flame for 5 more minutes, off the flame,
add the 1/2 tbsp of ghee.
Serve hot.Also if u want you can drizzle some ghee while serving.. It is yummy ..One of the apt side dish if VADAI.. believe it or not !
- You can Use paggu vellam too . I used normal jaggery, wont make much difference apart from color.
- Adding raisins is an optional
- Also Few people use nutmeg and clove , we have never used so i am not opting for that, If u want please use that at moderate level
- Depends on the rice the cooking time may differ
- Also Jaggery color adds some color to the rice, So it varies
- Water ratio is 1 : 3
- Make sure the jaggery syrup is thick, Otherwise u end up in having liquid sakkarai pongal.
- Since i have added more water in jaggery , i was waiting to get the thick consistency.