So my father has got his native temple, so whenever we visit that temple for function we use to help, right from sweeping, cleaning and drawing big kolam, and my father is specialist in making panchamritham which you would have seen in most of the perumal kovil. So me not exceptional i use to help him by removing the seeds and grating the coconut. And we make in bulk for 100 to 150 people which took nearly 3 hours, so we gather people and final mixing is done by my father, and after that i use to wait till the pooja finish, The moment you get the pachamirtham in hand, DIVINE is the only word . Those days are very memorable i was a kid i enjoyed every aspect of the tradition and it has meaning .
Preparation Time : 45 minutes
Mixing time : 20 minutes
Serves – 20 members( Depends on which ladle you use ))
Banana – 6 medium variety ( i have used poovan variety)
Apple – 2 medium size
Orange – 4 medium size ( i used kamala variety)
Grapes – 400 gm (seedless)
Pomegranate – 2 medium size
dates – 150 gm (seedless)
Candy sugar – 100 gm (diamond variety )
Brown sugar / Nattu Sakkarai – 350 gm
Honey – 2 tbsp
Elachi – 1/2 tsp
Coconut – 1 cup (loosely measured) shredded
finely chop the banana and apple and add it to the big wide bowl, If u want to peel the apple skin you can do , but we like to have crunchy one so i didnt remove it. Then remove the seed the orange and chop it , do chop the grapes too, I have used the seedless variety so mine was pretty easy to do .
Then add the pomegranate, then finely chop the dates , as i have used the seedless variety i chopped it directly otherwise you have to remove the seed then chop, Now add the candy sugar.
Then pour the honey, add the ealchi powder and grated coconut, if u are going to serve lately before serve add the brown sugar , and mix well , make sure all the ingredients are mixing well.
So whats up ? want a cup ?
- The mentioned variety of the fruits are used mainly for the mixed fruit panchamritham (especially in perumal temple)
- Any restriction you should consult with your elders in the family,
- I have no idea about other fruits in panchamritham , so again it depends on the family,
- If nattu sakkarai (brown sugar) not available use sugar and adjust the sweet according to the family, But i have not heard of adding powdered jaggery
- Jaggery and Brown sugar are entirely different though they belong to same family.
- If diamond candy sugar is not available just proceed with the brown sugar and adjust the sweet , because i have added candy for the taste of sweetness thats why i reduced the brown sugar measurement.
- Few people use a tbsp of ghee to enhance more flavor, so its purely optional.
- Make sure all the fruits , dates are chopped finely so that while blending it gives a nice texture also its easy for elders to taste.
- It will not have life time, since we have added coconut but i have kept mine in the fridge and next day it was good.
- You should add the brown sugar in the last stage as it tend to loose more water from fruits as well as from sugar, So when u plan for the party before serving just add the brown sugar.
- If u have Black grapes you can use that(not the one for juice- usually they use the seedless one)
- Make sure you are using the fine quality of fruits and freshly grated coconut , Otherwise all pain gone.