Curry Leaves – 1 cup (tightly measured – cleaned and washed)
Urad dal – 1 tbsp
Channa dal – 1 tbsp
Red chilly – 3 to 4 adjust according to the family spice need
Coconut -1 /4 cup shredded
Tamarind – small piece for tangy taste
Hing – a pinch
Salt – as required
Water – to sprinkle while grinding
Cooking oil – 2 tsp (for frying all those dal and curry leaves)
Hot oil / Sutta ennai – 1 tsp (to drizzle on the top of the thogayal while taking with rice )
Heat the kadai and add the 2 tsp of oil and add the channa dal and urad dal along with red chilly and saute till it changes it color, once it turns in to red, take it and transfer it to the plate, and add the curry leaves and saute till raw smell goes. then off the flame and add the grated coconut and mix well .allow it to cool completely.
Now grind the dal mixture coarsely then add the curry leaves along with coconut , then adjust the salt, hing and tamarind and sprinkle some water, its purely your option either coarsely or in to smooth paste , grind it according to the requirement.
then collect in to the bowl and while serving drizzle some hot oil on the top of the Rice. (we call it as suttu ennai) .
- Generally they add ghee along with the thokayal but sutta ennai is the right option to taste.
- Adding coconut is an optional but i would recommend to add since it has the special taste in the thogayal
- Hing ,tamarind are must so do add .
- I have used the riped green chilly which is red in color, You can also use the dried version both are equally tasty.
- Hot Oil is nothing but the one u use after frying.