He said ..Did u try our Special sambhar rice? i asked what so special in that ? He said, u taste it if it is not good , tell me i wont charge for this. So when i tasted , it was different version from our usual sambhar Rice. I can give 9.5 out of 10 ..its damm good with pickle and pappad. So my husband enjoyed the menu completely. Next time whenever we opt for sangeetha hotel out constant order is “Sangetha Special Rice” . If u have not tasted this so far? pls do try. i am sure you love this version. I tried similar version and i am hundred percent happy with the results.
What’s so special in this sambhar rice? Yes it is special and very different from our usual sambhar rice, because generally we add the sambhar to our normal rice, this one is added to the basmathi rice and drizzled with some ghee. Also i have added the coconut paste. which enhance the flavor as well as richness of the sambhar.
Mixed vegetables – 1 1/2 cup
Cooked Toor dal – 1 1/2 cup
Tamarind water – 1 /4 cup (semi thick – optional)
Water – 1 cup
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Red chilly powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Salt – as required
garlic – 3 nos
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Coriander or curry leaves – to temper
Cashew – 3 to 4 finely chopped (optional)
Cooked Basmathi Rice – as required to mix it with sambhar. i used 1 cup of basmathi Rice (uncooked) which i feel 3 to 4 can have it .
coconut – 1/2 cup
Green chilly -2 nos
fennel – 2 tsp
Finely chop all the vegetables and mean while cook the toor dal by adding a pinch of hing. Heat the kadai add the oil once heat add the mustard seeds once cracked add the garlic , and saute for a minute, then add the mixed vegetables and saute for 5 minutes in a medium flame. Then add the salt, turmeric and all other spice powders and saute for 10 minutes in the medium flame. So that the vegetables gets half cooked.
Then add the Tamarind and normal water, and allow the mixture to boil, once it starts boiling, check the vegetables, by this time it would have cooked perfectly, then add the cooked toor dal and mix well keep it in the medium flame and leave the mixture for 5 more minutes, it starts thickening.
Grind given item under ” to grind” and add the mixture to the boiling sambhar and mix well . Temper it with coriander or curry leaves, If u want it you can fry the cashews in the ghee and add it. i do not want cashews so i added the ghee finally . Off the flame .
Now take the cooked basmathi rice and add the required amt of sambhar and mix well . Serve it with any side dish as well as pappad . I served along with Avakkai pickle and some pappad.
- Since we added coconut i am not sure it will stay till night, if u are not refrigerated.
- We are adding the green chilly, spice powder and grind the green chilly along with coconut , so caution should be take for the spicy taste in the sambhar according to the family.
- Do add the ghee finally it definitely enhance the taste to next level.
- Adding cashew is optional if u want you can add it finally along with ghee.
- I have not added the Tamarind water, so adjust the tangy flavor according to the family taste.
- If you do not have red chilly and coriander separately add 2 tsp your sambhar powder .
- Use all the left over vegetables, i have used brinjal , cauliflower, onion, tomoto, capsicum,beans, carrot, green chilly.