My Grandma who is a great cook, has survived on her own till her death , she does all her work , never expect any to help, all her recipes are simply awesome. and more healthy too. To started off, i am with Ridge gourd thogayal.
Generally people use the skin of the ridge gourd, to make thogayal, But here we are using the whole ridge gourd, removing only the sharp edges (peeling) , which gives nice taste and so as aroma. When u choosing the ridge gourd make sure you are able to break the ridge gourd easily, this way you can see baby gourd. I am sure you all going to enjoy this healthy thogayal off to recipe.
Ridge guard – 2cup (preferably use the baby ridge guard)
oil – 2 tsp + 1tsp
channa dal – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 2tbsp
red chilly – 5 to 6
salt -as required
tamarind – a pinch
Hing – a pinch
Wash the ridge gourd and cut the corners, then Peel the skin of ridge gourd, make sure you peel the sharp edges not the full skin. Then chop the ridge gourd.
Mean while, heat the kadai and add the 1 tsp of oil, once heat add the channa dal and urad dal and red chilly saute till it starts change in color, then add the 2 tsp of oil and pour the chopped ridge gourd , saute till its shrinks. off the flame.
Take your mixie and pour the roasted channa dal, urad dal and red chilly give a pulse, then add the ridge gourd and tamarind, adjust the salt and hing ,grind in to smooth paste.
collect the mixture in a bowl and mix it with the Plain rice, and you can use it as an accompaniments for Curd rice and rasam rice. It wont suit for idly /dosai (the preparation of chutney is different ). Serve it with plain Rice, and some pepper /garlic rasam. I served along with Cucumber Stir fry (which i will be posting next week) .
- Do not peel the skin completely , just take the sharp edges.
- Do use the baby variety so that it would have great taste, the matured one wont taste like same. So while choosing make sure its baby variety.
- The urad dal portion should be more than channa dal so ratio is 2:1 so whenever u are doing in bulk plan it.
- Consume on the same day, though its good when i refrigerate it,but i miss the fresh taste.
- You can also use the skin alone for making this thogayal .