Every month in my grocery list, i add two millets, one is barnyard (kuthirivali) and other one is either varagu or samai variety . I do try many healthy varieties with the millets, my constant one is Idly,dosai and upma. Pongal is new addition to our list, My husband who s fond of pongal , is happy with the rice replacement as millet.
I do post my upma variety soon, actual before trying all those variety i used to cook the millet and take it with the sambhar and curd.(in the night especially) later my dietician advised me to take it as upma with loads of vegetables, which has more nutritional value than taking it with gravy and curd.
To boil :
Millet – 1 cup ( i used barnyard millet variety (kuthirivali in tamil ))
Moong dal – 1/2 cup
salt – as required
To temper :
Oil – 2 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
curry leaves – few to temper
ginger – 1 tsp
chopped green chilly – 1 tsp
Hot water – 1 cup
Water ration is 11/2 cup of mixtures needs 3 to 3 1/2 cup of water.
Pressure cook the moong dal and millet by adding the 3 to 31/2 cup of water with enough water and enough salt, leave for 3 whistles,and keep the low flame for 5 minutes and off the flame.
Once the steam off,open the cooker and smash the mixture, mean while ready with the hot water . Heat the kadai and add the oil once heat add the pepper powder and cumin seeds once cracked add the ginger and chopped chilly,curry leaves . saute for minute and transfer the tempers to the mixture, and mix well. Adjust the salt.
Now add little hot water to the mixture and mix well and make the right consistency. If you want you can drizzle some ghee on the top , i oothified ( poured) the sambhar and mixed and ate happily .You can have it with Coconut chutney and any tiffin sambhar.
- I used only 3 cups of water for boiling the millet and moong dal and used the remaining 1/2 cup hot water in the final stage so it balanced well.
- I have not used the ghee. Instead i used the normal oil ,you can drizzle some ghee too
- This time i used the pepper powder instead of crushed pepper , it was damm good while tasting.
- The water ratio differs for varies millets ,but you can try with less water, and finally add the hot water to get the consistency.
- I have tried the pongal with varagu variety too its as good as barnyard,but i do not recommend with kambu variety its not that good to have.