My amma version is very simple and its absolutely divine. Yes she just prepare the rice and pour the ghee and add the jeera powder and salt with pinch of hing. she use to serve it with roasted Pappad, The taste is out of world. amma use to say that cumin has high health benefits, and she ask me to include this seeds in most of my cooking.
Now in recent days i have started taking jeera water for easy digestion . Do try this easy version it can be packed for lunch box , i have served this with raw vegetable salad, It will be apt with any kind of Dal and some roasted pappad. Let me know how it sounds and taste ? 😉
Ghee – 1 tsp
cooking oil – 1 tsp
Bay leaf – small leaf (1 no)
Cinnamon – 1/2 size small stick
garlic paste – 2 tsp (i just shredded the garlic in the cheese grater)
onion – 2 medium size
pepper powder – 2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Green chilly – 3 number cut in to the two halves
salt – as required
Rice – 1 cup (i used Basmathi Rice)
water – 1 3/4 cup (depends on Rice the ratio changes see the notes)
coriander or curry leaves – to temper
Soak the Basmathi rice for 30 to 45 minutes.
Finely chop the onions and mince the garlic or else if u have paste it can be used.Heat the kadai and pour the ghee and oil, once melts and hot, add the bay leaf and cinnamon, saute for a minute,
Then add the chopped onion , garlic paste and green chilly saute till the onion color change. Then add the pepper powder and cumin seeds. saute well till everything blends and raw smell goes.
Mean while strain the soaked rice ,and add it to the kadai and mix well once everything mixed add the water and adjust the salt, now keep the flame in the high and wait till boils comes. Then change the flame to low and keep the kadai covered with lid .
After 10 to 15 minutes open the kadai and check that the rice boiled and no water occurs in the bottom . Mix well serve it with salad or raitha or any mild version of dal.
- I have used basmathi Rice So soaked the Rice for 45 minutes and used 1 3/4 cup of water which is perfect.
- If u are using normal rice then soak it for 20 minutes and use the water ratio as 1 : 2
- If the soaking time of basmathi rice is less than 30 minutes then add 2 cup of water.
- You can add 2 tbsp of coconut , which gives nice flavor
- You can completely use ghee instead of oil which has nice aroma .
- Its little spicy and flavored due to green chilly, pepper and garlic
- Do add the bay leaf and cinnamon for the mild masala flavor.
- I have used the kadai method, and felt the job is very easy .
- If u are going to use the pressure cooker, once the water added wait till the boils occurs, then close the lid and leave for 2 whistles and keep the flame in the medium and allow it to be there for 5 more minutes, off the flame.
- If u are using Cooker method, just grease the bottom with ghee for not burning.