I just had a batch of gram flour from the machine so hope fully i will update the making of gram flour post too. Yes this time i prepared my urad dal flour and gram flour not rice flour i wanted to try the murukku with idiyappam flour ,so short cut method. So try this spicy version i am sure u will be happy about the taste and easy method.
Check the video for squeezing and shaping the chakli here.
Check out for Home made rice flour .
Check my other murukku varities.
Gram flour – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1/2 cup
sesame seeds – 1 tsp
salt – as required
hing – 1/2 tsp
red chilly powder – 2 tsp (if needed can add other 1/2 tsp)
hot oil – 2 tsp
oil – for deep frying
Take a wide vessel add the gram flour , rice flour , sesame seeds salt ,hing and red chilly powder , just mix it evenly and pour little water and make the dough. once the dough is ready add the 2 tsp of hot oil , and mix well. The dough should be soft and pliable..
Take the mold and choose the desired shape actually i opted for chakli shape then fill the mold with the dough , close it and squeeze the dough to get the desired shape. I am attaching the video of how to make a chakli shape which helps for the first time user and beginner. I want to give one tip to get a perfect shape while squeezing just lift the mould we have a tendency to keep it down this way u wont get a perfect shape and it tends to break the continuity of murukku .
Once two or three ready just deep fry it in the hot oil. make sure its get cooked on both side . You fry the murukku in the medium flame other wise its easily get brown color due to red chilly powder addition . Transfer it to the tissue paper for absorbing the oil .
Store it in the air tight container and use it for a week . I am sure this will be there in your house for a day due to taste and spiciness.
- I would suggest not to alter the measurement in this may find it difficult while squeezing.
- I used Kashmir red chilly powder . May be that’s the one main reason it was easily get browned.
- if u do not have red chilly powder just soak the red chilly for an hour and grind it add , but do not add more as it tend to have more spicy than powder
- instead sesame seeds u can use cumin seeds or ajwain. depends on taste it can be included
- I used ready made idiyappam flour which was handy instead of preparing from scratch .