I have explained both the method here you can try any one. Both have same taste and crispy texture. You do not need to scare about this veggie for the itching, i have given the tips in the notes kindly go through before you proceed, Its well paired with Hot Rasam and Plain Rice.
Other Yam fry (kerala recipe) in this blog is chenna mezhukkupuratty
To cut and boil
Yam – 1/2 medium size (when u cut in to chunks you will get around some 25 to 30)
Tamarind – 1 medium lemon size
water – 3/4 cup for soaking tamarind + extra for boiling
turmeric powder – a pinch
salt – as required
Garlic – 6 pods
Fennel – 1 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1/8 tsp
Sambhar powder – 2 tbsp
Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
garam masala /other spice powder – 1 tbsp ( i used my vathakuzhambu mix )
oil – 3 tbsp (if it is kadai method else tawa method need to drizzle oil whenever it requires)
Take the yam and clean the skin parts and wash it , as it will have mud particles over the skin, then pat dry the yam and cut in to thick cubes say 1/2 inch thick.
Now add the turmeric powder and required amt of salt and add the tamarind water and required water to boil the yam ,Now heat the kadai and boil till the yam gets cooked or soft. You can check using your knife, this will easily cut the yam, thats the stage off the flame . Strain the yam completely and wash it in the running water and strain one again. Keep aside.
Mean while just crush the fennel and garlic pods in the mortal pestle. Take the wide plate add the crushed garlic fennel , masala powders and pour a drop of oil and water mix the masala well,
now add the strained yam and well coat the masala for the entire yam .If u are going to do tawa method then Heat the tawa and drizzle some oil , once its hot keep the yam one by one i did two batch so first batch i placed some 10 to 12 yam chunks. keep the flame in the medium. turn it over once it cooked and wait for other side to cook. You can even turn twice or thrice to get the crispy nice Yam. Transfer the yam to the plate and it can be served with Hot Rice and Rice perfect match.
If u are using the kadai method, drop some 2 tbsp of oil wait for a minute and pour some curry leaves ,once fried add the masala coated yam and saute for a minute then keep the flame in to medium and close the kadai lid with plate. wait for 10 minutes and then saute again and keep it covered and wait for 5 more minutes then open the kadai and see the fried one.
- Do not use the Fresh Yam , use it after 10 days , this way you can prevent from itching .
- Do not store it in the fridge. It will stay long days in outside itself. But not so long
- Whenever you use Yam either soak it in the Tamarind water or boil it in the tamarind water For not getting the itching
- While cutting if u feel more itching just soak the Full yam in the tamarind water for 10 to 15 minutes. Then pat dry the yam and cut .
- Adjust the spice according to the family need, totally 3 tbsp we are using so plan the family’s favorite spices.
- I have Tried both the tawa and Kadai method, I feel kadai method is quite easy and i too got the crispy yam fry and it absorbs less oil .
- I feel the masala is well balanced.