Ennai kathirikai kuzhambu with step by step photos and detailed version .
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 25 minutes
Servings – 2 to 3
Recipe Reference: Chettinadurecipes
Baby brinjal – 5 to nos
onion – 1 large finely chopped
Tomato – 1 medium finely chopped
mustard seeds – 1tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
red chilly powder – 1 tsp
sambhar powder – 2 tsp
Kuzhambu powder – 1 tsp (optional)
salt – as required
gingelly oil – 2 tbsp + 1tsp
Tamarind – 1 medium size lemon.
water – 1 cup + 1/2 or 1/4 cup
Curry leaves – few to temper.
Soak the tamarind in the 1 cup of water and keep aside. Now wash the brinjal and cut the top of the brinjal in to four or six or eight halves. Do not cut the bottom let it have the stem. Do not have deep cut . Then take a wide plate and add the turmeric and other spices powder , sprinkle some water plus 1/2 tsp of oil. mix the paste. now marinate the masala with the brinjal. leave a side for 5 to 10 minutes
Now heat the kadai and pour the oil once heat add the mustard seeds once cracked add the chopped onion and saute till it changes it colors, Then add the marinated brinjal and keep the flame in the medium and saute well . leave till its half cooked. Then add the chopped Tomato(if needed add the 1/2 tsp of oil) and adjust salt. saute everything blend .
Then strain the tamarind water, add it to the brinjal check the consistency , if its requires add 1/2 more cup of water. Adjust salt. allow it to boil completely . wait till it reduces its volume and oil comes out. Off the flame .
Serve it with hot Steam Rice along with other curries , thogayals and pappad.
- If you do not have kuzhambu powder you can use coriander powder 1 tsp .
- Adjust the spicy taste according to the family taste
- Tamarind water should have balanced tangy taste, as we are adding the 1 medium size tomato too
- Garlic can be added. But i forgot to add
- Use baby varieties of brinjal so that you can enjoy the complete taste.
- I have used vathakuzhambu powder from aachi i do recommend that to use. You definitely find the taste difference.
- If u are not adding Onion then add the Hing ( a pinch )in the gravy for the flavor.