Potato saagu with step by step photo and detailed explanation
To boil :
Potato – 1 cup (peel the skin )
turmeric – a pinch
salt – as required
To Grind :
Coconut – 1/2 cup
Fried gram – 2 tbsp
green chilly – 3 to 4 nos
cashew – 3 nos
couscous – 1/2 tsp
coriander leaves – 2 tbsp finely chopped (optional – which tend to change the color of saagu)
salt – as required.
To temper :
Oil – 2 tsp
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
curry leaves – to temper
Wash the potato twice to remove the mud and peel the skin and chop in to medium size as we are going to pressure cook the potato , plan the cuttings Take the desired vessel add the chopped potato and pinch of turmeric and required amt of salt & water . pressure cook it for 3 whistles. once the steam releases, check the cooked potato. keep a side
Pour all the ingredients in the mixie jar as mentioned in the ” to grind ” column . Grind in to smooth paste by pouring some water. now heat the tawa and add the boiled potato along with the stock. (make sure it has enough stock Do not add more water whiling boiling the potato) , then add the grind paste to this potato and mix well and wait till the thick consistency occurs, since we added fried gram , it will easily get thick so caution needed.
Mean while take a small kadai and pour the oil and temper it with ingredients mentioned under ” To temper” transferred the tempered items to the potato saagu. off the flame. Serve it with any south indian dish like idly, dosai, poori , idiyappam . I served it with chapathi it was good .
- Any left over veggie can be used.
- I choose potato , if u have green peas you can add it with potato to add more colors.
- I have not added onion and garlic. as the recipe calls but for the variations you can add both.
- I have added only green chilly for the spicy ness. So plan it for your family required spicy taste.
- Adding the fried gram is for getting the thickness, so do not add more than mentioned.
- Adjust the gravy consistency according to the need.