Panagam or panakam is a sweet healthy drink made from powdered or grated jaggery on Sri rama navami occasion .Its is healthy sweet drink along with this we make Neer mor (buttermilk ) on this auspicious day. Its celebrated for the birth of God Rama. I still remember my Father is very particular about this function and he celebrate it very proudly 🙂 One reason he is a great devotee of Sri Rama. Second his name is Raman. 🙂 I born and brought up by listening Ramayana and mahabharatha stories from my appa, amma and grand ma . So every ritual i make sure i make everything .
Every Year amma makes payasam , panagam, neer mor and vadai for this day, We do not have habit of making kosambari. Still i like kosambari a lot. Tomorrow we are going to celebrate the Rama navami , and its long pending post , yes from my first year of blog i have been waiting for this post some have i missed it , this year i am happy i could make it.
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Idle time : Less than 30 minutes
servings – 3 ppl
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups +1/2 cup
Nutmeg powder – 1/2 tsp
lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
elachi – 4 nos
Tulasi leaves – few (highly recommended)
Dry ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
Take a required vessel,add either powdered or grated jaggery, and add the 2 cups of water leave it for 15 minutes,, once the jaggery dissolves filter the water using the strainer. Then add the elachi, nut meg powder lemon juice and dry ginger powder. give a nice mix,
You can serve as such with tulsi leaves else again you can filter the panagam. If you feel the panagam is too sweet then add 1/2 more cup of water.
- If you do not have dry ginger powder you can always shred the normal ginger .
- Adding pepper corn is other variation, we generally do not use that , if you like you can add
- Also we do not add salt in this panagam, observed few add too . so purely your choice.
- I donot have tulsi leaves so i have not added, but highly recommended its too good for health.
- It depends on jaggery the color of panagam may change.