Cabbage Vadai with step by step photos and detailed explanation :
Soaking Time: 2 hours
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Servings : 12 nos
- urad dal - 1½ cup
- cabbage - ½ cup chopped
- coconut - ¼ cup chopped
- green chilly - 2 nos chopped
- ginger - 1 tbsp shredded
- pepper powdered - ½ tsp
- salt - as required
- curry leaves - few strands
- oil - to deep fry
- soak the urad dal in the water for 1 hour 30 minutes, add enough water for the dal . after 1.30hrs, strain the water completely wash twice, and grind it nicely, sprinkle water, do not add more water, once the batter comes fluffy, collect it in a bowl, add the chopped cabbage, green chilly, coconut, ginger,salt and curry leaves, pepper powdered . mix well.
- take a desired kadai and pour enough oil, once hot. Take the required amt of batter and flattened in the banana leaves or zip lock covers shape it and make a hole in the center, then carefully take the batter transfer in to the oil. or else take the required amt of batter in fingers, and shape it and make a center hole. By practise you nail this art so do not worry. pour it in the oil, and deep fry it .
- cook on both sides, flip it whenever needed, then transfer it to the tissue paper once its absorbed the oil, keep it in the hot case, serve with hot sambhar, chutney .
While grinding sprinkle enough water, do not pour.
Add green chilly ginger, it gives extra taste.
To get even more crispy, add a tbsp of raw rice in the urad dal while soaking.
Instead adding raw rice, you can add a tbsp of rice flour in the batter.
you can also soak the urad dal and keep it in the fridge, this gives even more fluffy batter
you can als o add powdered pepper alone and avoid the green chilly.
Use freshly grounded pepper for more flavors.